Colombo: The number of people killed in the Sunday serial blasts in Sri Lanka has risen to 185, the local media reported.
More than 500 injured people have been hospitalised in various hospitals, some of whom are in critical conditions.
The multiple explosions hit two Catholic churches here in the national capital in the morning, as worshipers had gathered in large numbers to attend the Easter services.
The country’s government has held an emergency meeting on the incident.
According to the Sri Lankan Ministry of Education, all schools in the country will be closed on Monday and Tuesday.
Nationwide curfew has been imposed till 6AM on Monday.
Sri Lankan Airlines company said that enhanced security measures were introduced in Colombo International Airport after the attacks.
A total of eight blasts have taken place so far hitting three churches and three hotels in the country’s capital of Colombo and other cities, local media reported.
The first blast occurred at 0845 hrs in St Anthony’s Church in Kochchikade and the other at St Sebestian’s Church in Katuwapitiya, Katana.
Shortly after those blasts were reported, police confirmed three hotels in the capital had also been hit, along with a church in the town of Batticalao, in the east of the country.
The police said explosions also occurred at Shangri-La Hotel and Kingsbury Hotel in the capital.
As per initial reports the injured have been shifted to nearby hospitals.
It is reported that 24 people were killed in Colombo while 27 people died following the blast at the Zion Church while the number of deaths from the explosions in Negombo stands at 62.
Of the victims, 13 foreigners have been admitted to the Colombo General Hospital while some are reported among the victims.
PM Wickremesinghe has also strongly condemned the ‘cowardly’ attack on the its people and has urged all Sri Lankans to remain united in this tragic time.