Shutdown, restrictions cripples normal life in Valley

Srinagar: A complete shutdown is being observed in the Valley on Sunday after a shutdown called by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) against the arrests of hundreds of Jamaat and Hurriyat activists and any move of “tampering with Article 35A”.

The shutdown call was given by JRL headed by Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik after a crackdown on Jamaat-e-Islami and induction of additional forces in Kashmir with rumours regarding tampering of Article 35A.

Authorities imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar in areas falling under the jurisdiction of Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar, M.R. Gunj and Safa Kadal areas.

According to the police, restrictions have been imposed city to prevent any law and order situation. Heavy contingents of state police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed across the city.

Normal life in came to a standstill as business establishments, shops, schools, colleges and universities remained closed across the Valley. Government and private offices recorded thin attendance.  Mostly public transport was off the roads in civil lines and uptown Srinagar though private vehicles, and three-wheelers could be seen plying on some routes.

Reports added that a complete shutdown was observed in south Kashmir’s Shopian, Pulwama, Kulgam, and Islamabad districts.

Normal life was disrupted in Budgam, Ganderbal, and other major towns of central Kashmir in response to the strike call. Traffic was largely off the roads.

North Kashmir’s Baramulla town and its adjoining areas witnessed a complete shutdown. Maximum shops and other business centres including tuition centres remain off in Baramulla, Sopore, Pattan, Palhalan, Langate, Handwara, Kupwara, Kralpora, Bandipora and Hajin areas while as public transport too was effected.

Around 150 Jamaat-e-Islami  cadres including its chief, Abdul Hamid Fayaz, were detained in the last two days in the Kashmir Valley in a mass crackdown.Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Chief Muhammad Yasin Malik was also taken into preventive custody on Friday.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.